Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Me and Edwidge

I volunteered to work at this past weekend's Brooklyn Book Festival, and, to my surprise, Edwidge Danticat - among my favorite writers! - was strolling around! I love her so much!!!! I went up and told her about how, when my sister's ex-husband was dying of cancer in a hospice - and didn't have anything to read in his final days - I was able to reach in my backpack and give him a copy of KRIK? KRAK! I realized as I was telling that story that it was awkward and sad, but Edwidge, no stranger to sorrow herself, just smiled. She was wearing a black blouse, with a nice maroon sweater over it, and I was wearing a pink French-cuffed shirt rolled up at the sleeves, to hide the French cuffs (I bought them by mistake at the Warehouse Sale - I am not a fan of French cuffs!). All my friends know that I hate Brooklyn, but I'm really glad now that I braved muggings and train outages to venture into the Borough that God Forgot.

1 comment:

WebTech said...

We're waiting for the next installment, Neat Feet

Special Cufflinks
-----------------------------
French Cuffs