Monday, January 25, 2010

Book party weirdness

What a weird book party I went to on Friday! It was at Susan Shapiro's house. I went with the glamorous John Reed, books editor at the Brooklyn Rail, who never fails to crack me up. Sometimes, I'm the only one laughing at his jokes, but that makes it even more delicious ... I am fully fluent in weird humor! Speaking of weird, I was wearing a button-up shirt and a boa (more on that in a future post).

This is a blurry photo, but the fellow in the red, Dean, said that when he was going up to the party in the elevator, a woman asked him, scornfully: "Who are you?" Later on, he asked her: "Who are you?" She replied "I'm Ultraviolet," and walked away. Those Warhol superstars! Still making friends twenty years later. I saw her at the party - she was wearing a blue, red, and green polyester top.

I ran into an ex of an ex of mine, and I was really happy to compare notes. :) More on this later, too.

I also ran into a friend of a friend named Josh. This is him talking to me in the picture. He had a crooked smile, and I told him he looked like Christopher Plummer from "The Sound of Music," but he hadn't seen that movie! What is up with straight guys not having seen "The Sound of Music?" C'mon, straight guys! Add it to your queue.

No comments: